This Angle Food Cake dessert is a true show-stopper. It’s not only beautifully elegant to serve to a crowd, thanks to No Yolking™ 100 % Egg White Protein Powder, you’ll be able to serve it to any guest, regardless of their dietary lifestyle. Our version is keto- and diabetic-friendly, gluten- and sugar-free! Using No Yolking™ also means you don’t have to separate eggs or figure out what to do with the leftover yolks, like you would in a traditional recipe. So whether for a fancy dinner party, or the kids’ lunchbox, this treat is a winner!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling
Makes: 1 cake; approx. 10 servings
1 1/2 cups (160 g) No Yolking™ 100 % Egg White Protein Powder
2 tbsp (30 mL) *allulose (optional)
1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) cream of tartar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) sea or kosher salt
1 1/2 cups (325 mL) water
1 cup (250 mL/200 g) Swerve or Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract (or lemon or almond extract)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC). Grease a metal tube pan with a removable bottom.
- Place the egg white protein powder, allulose, cream of tartar and salt in the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the metal whisk attachment. Stir on low speed just to combine.
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the water. Gradually increase the speed to high; beat for 1 minute. With the motor running, add the sweetener, one tablespoon at a time. Add vanilla. Beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until whites hold a stiff peak (whites should hold their shape and stand up straight – no drooping tips).
- Gently spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Be sure to fill the pan evenly to avoid gaps and tunnels in the finished cake; smooth the surface.
- Bake, on the centre rack, for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is set and springs back when lightly touched. Carefully flip the pan upside down and cool completely (in the pan). Run an offset spatula or thin knife around the cake to loosen from the pan. Flip and firmly tap on the counter to release cake. Slice and serve with Whipped Coconut Protein Topping and fresh fruit.
NOTE: *Allulose is an optional ingredient because while it caramelizes the outside of the cake to create a beautifully golden-brown colour, it is not necessary. If omitted, the cake will still have a lovely appearance with a subtly sweet flavour and tender texture.
- When beating egg whites, all measuring cups, spoons, bowls and whisks must be clean, free of any grease or fat, and completely dry.
- Use room temperature water for best results.
- Recipe can also be prepared in a large non-reactive bowl (glass or metal) with handheld electric beaters.