The only thing better than how versatile this recipe is, is how easy it is to prepare. In less than 1 hour you’ll have a delicious, no-carb bread that’s loaded with protein. Plus, it’s totally gluten-free, diabetic-friendly, dairy-free and keto-friendly!!
It’s perfect for sandwiches, French toast, garlic bread and so much more. The possibilities are endless! Inspired by the popular protein sparing bread by keto and modified fast expert Maria Emmerich.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling
Makes: 1 loaf
1 1/4 cups (120 g) No Yolking™ 100 % Egg White Protein Powder
3 tbsp (45 mL) *Allulose, Swerve or Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener
1/2 tsp (2 mL) sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) cream of tartar
1 1/4 cups (300 mL) water
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC). Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the egg white protein powder, sweetener, salt and cream of tartar into the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the metal whisk attachment. Stir on low speed just to combine.
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the water. Gradually increase the speed to high. Beat for at least 5 minutes or until whites hold a stiff peak (whites should hold their shape and stand up straight – no drooping tips). Transfer to prepared loaf pan; mound the top into a loaf shape. Use a rubber spatula to create a linear indentation, about 1/2-inch (2 cm) deep, down the length of the loaf.
- Bake, on the centre rack, for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is set and the loaf springs back when lightly touched. Transfer to a wire rack to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool completely on the rack. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
NOTE: *Our recipe has been tested with each of the three natural sweeteners listed in the recipe. Allulose will yield the best colour, flavour and texture but it can be challenging to source in Canada and is expensive when compared to the other sweeteners. Swerve and Monkfruit both produce a very good quality bread that is much lighter in colour. If using Monkfruit, you can broil the loaf on the middle rack, for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Be sure to use a sweetener that has a 1:1 ratio when compared to regular sugar for baking.
- When beating egg whites, all measuring cups, spoons, bowls and whisks must be clean, free of any grease or fat, and completely dry.
- Use room temperature water for best results.
- Recipe can also be prepared in a large non-reactive bowl (glass or metal) with handheld electric beaters.