Use our egg white protein powder to make sweet and crisp meringue cookies or to top pies and tarts. With no eggs to separate, this recipe is so simple to whip up – plus, you can lick the beaters since our No Yolking™ 100 % Egg White Protein Powder is safe to eat without having to cook it.
Our meringue is light, fluffy and satisfies any sweet tooth without the sugar! It’s a great treat for diabetics or anyone who wants to keep their blood sugar balanced while getting some protein in to help curb hunger pains.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
Makes: 36 cookies
3/4 cup (175 mL) Monk Fruit sweetener
1/4 cup (60 mL) No Yolking™ 100 % Egg White Protein Powder
3/4 cup (175 mL) water
1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 225ºF (107ºC). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the sweetener and egg white protein powder into the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the metal whisk attachment. Stir on low speed just to combine.
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the water and vanilla. Gradually increase the speed to high. Beat for at least 5 minutes or until whites hold a stiff peak (whites should hold their shape and stand up straight – no drooping tips).
- Transfer whipped whites to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 36 cookies onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour or until meringues are set and still completely white. Turn off the oven and allow meringues to stand in the warm oven for 1 hour (do not open the door). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- When beating egg whites, all measuring cups, spoons, bowls and whisks must be clean, free of any grease or fat, and completely dry.
- Use room temperature water for best results.
- Recipe can also be prepared in a large non-reactive bowl (glass or metal) with handheld electric beaters.
- Alternatively, use the whipped egg whites as a meringue topping for pies and tarts. Simply spread over the dessert and use the back of a spoon to create decorative swirls with small peaks. Broil, on the centre rack, for 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly golden brown.