Our simple recipe uses ground lamb or lean beef and frozen cauliflower “rice” (or you can make your own), plus it has 1/4 cup No Yolking™ – 100 % Egg White Protein Powder to add even more lean protein. Plus, there’s no need for breadcrumbs or a whole egg since the egg white powder acts as a binder, and also soaks up the excess moisture from the cauliflower.
The mixture is perfectly spiced with paprika, which in addition to giving this a mild smoky flavour, is also a great source of potassium, vitamins A and E, plus iron and a variety of antioxidants. Inspired by our meatball recipe, this meatloaf is quick to assemble and will feed a crowd easily.
1 lb (500 g) frozen cauliflower rice, thawed
2 tbsp (30 mL) organic butter, melted
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried parsley
2 tsp (10 mL) paprika
1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
3/4 tsp (4 mL) each sea salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup (60 mL) No Yolking™ – 100 % Egg White Protein Powder
1 lb (500 g) lean ground lamb, beef, chicken or turkey
2 tbsp (30 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
1 tsp (5 mL) hot sauce (optional)
- Place cauliflower rice in a large bowl. Add butter, parsley, paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix until well combined and cauliflower is mostly mashed (a bit lumpy is fine). Sprinkle in the egg white powder and crumble in ground lamb. Gently mix until well combined. Let stand for 10 minutes (this allows egg white powder to hydrate).
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Line a baking sheet with foil and brush with olive oil. Form meat mixture into a meatloaf. Whisk mustard with maple syrup and hot sauce (if using). Brush over top of meatloaf.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Serve warm with salad and steamed green vegetables.
- Fresh cauliflower that has been riced (using a box grater or food processor) and has been lightly steamed can replace the frozen variety.
- Meat mixture can also be formed into burgers or meatballs.
- Use smoked paprika, mild or hot, for an extra flavour boost.