Our simple recipe uses ground lamb or lean beef and frozen cauliflower “rice” (or you can make your own), plus it has 1/4 cup No Yolking™ – 100 % Egg White Protein Powder to add even more lean protein. There’s no need for breadcrumbs or a whole egg since the egg white powder acts as a binder, and also soaks up the excess moisture to make rolling the meatballs easy.
The mixture is perfectly spiced with paprika, which in addition to giving this a mild smoky flavour, is also a great source of potassium, vitamins A and E, plus iron and a variety of antioxidants. These meatballs are great as an appetizer, in a Buddah bowl with your favourite veggies, topped on a fresh salad or transformed into burgers or a meatloaf.
1 lb (500 g) frozen cauliflower rice, thawed
2 tbsp (30 mL) organic butter, melted
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried parsley
2 tsp (10 mL) paprika
1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
3/4 tsp (4 mL) each sea salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup (60 mL) No Yolking™ – 100 % Egg White Protein Powder
1 lb (500 g) lean ground lamb, beef, chicken or turkey
- Place cauliflower rice in a large bowl. Add butter, parsley, paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix until well combined and cauliflower is mostly mashed (a bit lumpy is fine). Sprinkle in the egg white powder and crumble in ground lamb. Gently mix until well combined. Let stand for 10 minutes (this allows egg white powder to hydrate).
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line a baking sheet with foil and brush with olive oil. Roll meat mixture into 36 meatballs and arrange on baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Serve warm with salad, in a rice bowl, over hot cooked gluten-free pasta or in a broth-based soup.
- Fresh cauliflower that has been riced (using a box grater or food processor) and has been lightly steamed can replace the frozen variety.
- Meat mixture can also be formed into burgers or a meatloaf.
- Use smoked paprika, mild or hot, for an extra flavour boost.