Everyone is unique in their dietary needs, but one thing is true for (almost) all people – we LOVE chocolate! It can be challenging to enjoy all the foods we love when sticking to our health goals, managing a gluten or dairy intolerance, or living with diabetes, but we shouldn’t have to give up our devotion to chocolate. So, whether it’s Valentine’s Day, girls’ night, date night or Tuesday – go ahead and treat yourself to a delicious dessert that is sinfully wholesome.
In this recipe, No Yolking™ 100 % Egg White Protein Powder is beaten with natural zero-calorie sweetener and cocoa powder to create low-carb chocolate cloud bread that is perfect for Keto, high-protein, vegetarian and low-carb diets.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes, plus cooling
Makes: 8 buns
1 cup (250 mL) No Yolking™ – 100 % Egg White Protein Powder
1/3 cup (75 mL) Swerve, Monkfruit sugar or Allulose
3 tbsp (45 mL) cocoa powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) cream of tartar
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1 cup (250 mL) water
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the egg white protein powder, sweetener, cocoa powder, cream of tartar and salt into the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the metal whisk attachment. Stir on low speed just to combine.
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the water and vanilla. Gradually increase the speed to high. Beat for at least 5 minutes or until whites hold a stiff peak (whites should hold their shape and stand up straight – no drooping tips).
- Spoon the egg whites onto prepared pan to make eight buns; shape each bun with a rubber spatula so it has a 4-inch (10 cm) diameter and is mounded high.
- Bake, on the centre rack, for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is set and bun springs back when lightly touched. Transfer to a wire rack to cool on the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
- To Serve: Slice each bun open and fill with our No Yolking™ Whipped Coconut Protein Topping, fresh fruit such as berries and a touch of shaved dark chocolate.
NOTE: *Our recipe has been tested with each of the three natural sweeteners listed in the recipe. Allulose will yield the best colour, flavour and texture but it can be challenging to source in Canada and is expensive when compared to the other sweeteners. Swerve and Monkfruit both produce a very good quality bread that is much lighter in colour. Be sure to use a sweetener that has a 1:1 ratio when compared to regular sugar for baking.
- When beating egg whites, all measuring cups, spoons, bowls and whisks must be clean, free of any grease or fat, and completely dry.
- Use room temperature water for best results.
- Recipe can also be prepared in a large non-reactive bowl (glass or metal) with handheld electric beaters.
- Add a dash of ground cinnamon or chipotle powder, or both, for a lightly spiced, Mayan-inspired chocolate bun.