We have your new cold-weather supper favourite right here! This satisfying curry dish is big on flavour and nutrition. The cauliflower is the star in this recipe: it’s nutrient-packed, high in fibre and low in calories, plus it’s so hearty and satisfying, no one will miss the meat in this vegetarian dish. The protein, and all the essential amino acids your body needs, comes from No Yolking 100% Egg White Protein Powder, which, in addition to the chickpeas will help keep you satisfied and full long after your meal. The coconut milk and cashews combine to make this dairy-free curry a super creamy and rich meal the whole family will love all winter long.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive or coconut oil
1/3 cup (75 mL) red Thai curry paste
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp (30 mL) minced ginger
1 can (400 mL) coconut milk (full fat)
1 can (540 mL) diced tomatoes
1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
4 cups (1 L) fresh cauliflower florets
1 can (540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup (250 mL) raw unsalted cashews, toasted and divided, approx.
1 cup (250 mL) plain unsweetened non-dairy milk, such as oat, almond, coconut or cashew
1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup (125 mL) No Yolking™ 100 % Egg White Protein Powder
1/2 cup (125 mL) torn cilantro leaves
- In a large straight-sided skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion, red pepper, garlic and ginger for 3 to 5 minutes or until fragrant and softened. Stir in curry paste and cook for 2 minutes or until deep red. Reduce heat to medium. Add coconut milk, tomatoes and salt; bring to a boil.
- Stir in cauliflower, chickpeas and half the cashews; cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Remove lid and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Combine non-dairy milk, broth, protein powder and remaining cashews in a blender. Blend on low speed until well combined. Add 2 cups (500 mL) curry to blender, cover with lid and remove the vent cap. Drape a clean kitchen towel over the blender to cover the vent (this will avoid being splashed with hot liquid during blending). Turn the blender onto the lowest speed and slowly increase the speed to medium-high. Blend for 1 minute or until smooth.
- While stirring constantly, slowly pour milk mixture into curry and stir until well combined. Garnish with additional cashews and cilantro.
NOTE: Since No Yolking™ is 100% egg whites, it’s possible that it can cook (and scramble!) when added to hot foods, such as soups, stews and curry. This is why our recipe includes directs to ‘temper’ the eggs. Tempering is a simple technique that combines the protein powder with some room temperature or lukewarm liquid from the recipe (such as water, milk, broth, etc.) to warm it up slowly, then whisk that mixture into the hot recipe and stir until totally combined.
- Serve over hearty greens such as kale or spinach, cauliflower rice, or cooked quinoa.
- Make a double batch and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Place cashews in a cold pan set over medium heat. Toast, shaking often, for about 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly coloured and fragrant. Cool completely.