Our dairy-free soup is sure to have everyone fooled! It’s rich, it’s smooth and it’s oh-so-creamy — without the cream! We put those seasonal Canadian mushrooms to work in this nostalgic winter dish as they add rich, deep flavour to the classic soup. Mushrooms are also super low in carbs, so this is great for Keto followers.
In addition to helping achieve a creamy texture, the No Yolking™ – 100 % Egg White Protein Powder also makes this vegetarian soup protein-packed and soup-er satisfying! Make a double batch for the week or freeze it for an easy comforting dinner on a cold night.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 4 to 6 servings
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 1/2 lb (750 g) sliced fresh mixed mushrooms, such as button, cremini, shiitake and oyster
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
4 cups (1 L) sodium-reduced chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups (500 mL) plain unsweetened non-dairy milk, such as oat, almond, coconut or cashew
1/3 cup (75 mL) No Yolking™ – 100 % Egg White Protein Powder
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and celery. Cook, stirring often, for 7 to 10 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and tender.
- Stir in garlic, salt, vinegar, thyme and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Pour in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes or until flavourful. Remove from heat; cover.
- Combine non-dairy milk and 4 cups (1 L) hot soup in a blender. Cover blender with lid and remove the vent cap. Drape a clean kitchen towel over the blender to cover the vent (this will avoid being splashed with hot liquid during blending). Turn the blender onto the lowest speed and slowly increase the speed to medium-high. Blend for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg white power with some of the blender mixture until smooth; whisk in 1 cup (250 mL) puréed soup. Pour egg white mixture into the blender and blend just until combined. While stirring constantly, pour the puréed soup into the remaining soup in the pot. Adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish with cracked black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
NOTE: Since No Yolking™ is 100% egg whites, it’s possible that it can cook (and scramble!) when added to hot foods, such as soup. This is why our recipe includes directions to ‘temper’ the eggs. Tempering is a simple technique that combines the protein powder with some room temperature or lukewarm liquid from the recipe (such as water, milk, broth, etc.) to warm it up slowly, then whisk that mixture into the hot recipe and stir until totally combined.
- Reserve some of the browned mushrooms to garnish the finished soup before serving.
- Add a splash of white wine and cook for 2 minutes before adding the broth; if desired.