Filled with asparagus, spinach, peas and goat cheese, this spring-inspired crustless quiche is easy-to-make because you don’t have to fuss pastry. As an added bonus, by leaving out the pastry crust, it’s also keto and gluten-free. We’re using a combination of whole eggs and No Yolking™ 100 % Egg White Protein Powder which creates a lovely delicate yellow colour and tender texture with a huge protein punch without a ton of calories.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped asparagus (about 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces)
5 oz (150 g) baby spinach
1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen peas
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest
6 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups (300 mL) non-dairy milk, such as almond, oat or soy milk
3/4 cup (175 mL) No Yolking™ 100 % Egg White Protein Powder
1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh dill, parsley, tarragon or chives
5 oz (150 g) crumbled goat cheese or vegan cheese
Fresh arugula (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°F). Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook asparagus for 3 minutes or until starting to soften. Stir in spinach, peas, garlic and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper. Drizzle in 2 tbsp (30 mL) water. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until asparagus and peas are tender and spinach is wilted. Transfer to plate; set aside to cool. Stir in lemon zest.
- Meanwhile, whisk together milk and protein powder until smooth. Add eggs, dill and remaining salt and pepper just until combined.
- Arrange skillet mixture in a greased 10-inch (25 cm) shallow tart pan. Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese. Pour egg mixture over top.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until top is set and lightly golden around the edges. Let stand for 5 minutes. Top with arugula or micro green to serve, if using.
- In this version of Crustless Quiche we’ve included asparagus, spinach, peas, dill and goat cheese but the possibilities are endless. Use whatever combo of veggies, herbs and cheese you like best or have on-hand.
- Keep the quiche dairy-free by using a plant-base milk and using your favourite vegan cheese.
- For a show-stopping festive brunch, serve quiche with a fresh green salad such as baby arugula dressed with All-Purpose Creamy Lemon Vinaigrette and a No Yolking™ Cranberry Mocktail.